The book includes insights from the following experts:
- Cesar Abeid, Project Manager, Remontech, Inc.
- Glen B. Alleman, Principle at Niwot, Ridge LLC
- Paul Cable, Consultant Project Manager, Empachal Solutions Limited
- Naomi Caietti, Project Manager / Consultant, State of California
- Geoff Crane, Doctoral Student, Professor and Coach, The Papercut Project Manager
- Michiko Diby, CEO, The SeaLight Company
- Michel Dion, Project Manager, Project-Aria
- Deanne Earle, Company Director and Project Consultant, Unlike Before Ltd
- Chris Field, Global PMO Manager, Piksel Inc.
- Jeff Furman, Project Management, Instructor / PM Book Author, NYU
- Frank Grippo, Director of Web Services, LexisNexis
- Bob Hartman, Certified Scrum Trainer and Coach at Agile For All, LLC
- Barry Hodge, Project Manager at Bromford
- Jon Hyde, Programme Manager, Cheltenham Borough Council
- Michael Kaplan, Founder and CEO, SoftPMO
- Robert Kelly, Managing Partner, Kelly Project Solutions, LLC
- Torsten Koerting, Managing Partner, projectyzer GmbH
- Susanne Madsen, Project Leadership Coach
- Rich Maltzman & Dave Shirley, Co-Founders, EarthPM, LLC
- Margaret Meloni, President of Meloni, Coaching Solutions, Inc.
- Jose Moro, CEO, gedpro
- Carlos J. Pampliega, Architect and PMP, Salinero Pampliega Project Management
- Rob Prinzo, President, The Prinzo Group
- Patrick Richard, Senior Project / Program Manager, PRGPPM
- Gregg D. Richie, Instructor, Project Management Academy
- Iván Carlos Rivera González, Sr. Project Manager
- Tres Roeder, President, Roeder Consulting
- Johanna Rothman, President, Rothman Consulting Group, Inc.
- Peter Saddington, Principal, Action & Influence, Inc.
- Susan de Sousa, Director, Interzone Services Ltd
- Pam Stanton, Author, Speaker, and Consultant, The Project Whisperer
- Stephanie Stewart, Director, Agile Leadership, Cox Target Media
- Jo Ann Sweeney, Founder, Sweeney Communications Ltd
- Peter Taylor, Owner / Director, The Lazy Project Manager Ltd
- Tony Toglia, Director, Project Management Office, Rideout Health
- Ricardo Viana Vargas, Director – Project Management, United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
- Cinda Voegtli, CEO, ProjectConnections.com
- Ed Wallington, Project Management Advocate, edwallington.com
- Neil Walker, Program & Project Practitioner, Synatus
- Todd C. Williams, President, eCameron, Inc.
Project Leadership was generously sponsored by Workfront.
Gartner predicted a massive sea change in the world of project management—a change that is forcing project managers into a greater leadership role and requiring them to work closely with senior executives. With the generous support of Workfront, we reached out to 40 top Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) professionals and asked them the following question:
Please share a remarkable leadership secret that had a major impact on an enterprise project you have managed. Please tell the story and the results that you achieved.
We received a range of insightful answers that paint a picture of an industry in transition. The essays in this book roughly break down into three categories. Several of the practitioners focused on the new relationship that project leaders need to forge with senior management, how to understand their concerns and communicate with them in any way that works. Many PPM experts wrote about leading change and getting teams to work together in new ways. Finally, many of our experts wrote about specific leadership techniques that have helped them clear hurdles and remove obstacles.
Making the shift from project management to project leadership isn’t easy, but the rewards can be significant. We hope the collective wisdom and hard-learned lessons contained in these pages will inspire you and help you take your own teams to a higher level.